Minister of Culture and Tourism Jero Wacik has said his office received an apology from Malaysia’s Tourism Ministry regarding the recent controversial use of Balinese Pendet dance in a TV spot produced by a private production house.
“I received a call from the Malaysian Tourism Minister to apologize over the Pendet issue on Thursday afternoon,” Jero told Antara state news agency.
He added his office was still waiting for an official apology from the neighboring government.
“We are still waiting for an answer to the letters of protest we sent days ago. We believe our protest letters arrived there today hence we will receive the answer by next week,” he said.
The Malaysian minister, he added, explained the advertisement had been put together by a private production house and had nothing to do with the country's tourism campaign.