Concerned over the drop in Japanese tourists in the past four years, the Bali administration will cooperate with national airline Garuda Indonesia to hold a promotion event in Osaka.
Bali Tourism Agency official Ida Bagus Kadek Subhiksu said that since 2009, the number of Japanese tourists has dropped by 50 percent.
“Previously, Japan has always been our number one supplier of tourists. Now, the country is only number three,” he said in Denpasar on Wednesday.
The deaths of two Japanese citizens on the island, as well as the tsunami disaster in Japan, contributed to the cutback of tourist arrivals from the archipelago nation.
Riko Sano, a 33-year-old Japanese woman, was found dead in Kuta in September 2009, while Hiromi Shimada was killed at her rented house, also in Kuta, two months later.
“They are very sensitive about such cases,” Subhiksu said of Japanese holidaymakers.
The closing of a Bali-Osaka flight route have also made it tougher for Japanese nationals to visit Bali, he added.
Subhiksu said that a promotional event in Osaka will help fix Bali’s image as a safe place to vacation.
“Hopefully, we can boost arrivals from Japan with the promotion,” said Bali Tourism Board chairman Ida Bagus Ngurah Wijaya, adding that Indonesia had not done anything to promote Bali in the country in the past four years.
“We have been depending only on Japan’s travel agents for the last four years,” he said.
Source: Jakarta Globe