The government has substantially increased its target for foreign tourist arrivals to Bandung, West Java, according to Bandung Mayor Ridwan Kamil.
“The tourism ministry has assigned me to raise the number of foreign tourist arrivals to Bandung from 90,000 visits per year to 500,000 visits,” Ridwan said in Bandung on Monday as quoted bytempo.co.
Ridwan said Tourism Minister Arief Yahya advised him to formulate a new strategy to boost tourism.
The tourism minister previously declared the successful Asia-Africa Carnival, which was held on April 25 during the 60th anniversary of Asian-African Conference, would become an annual event.
The move was seen as a part of the ministry’s effort to attract 10.06 million foreign visitors to Indonesia this year, an increase of 7 percent from the 2014 target.
Ridwan also revealed his plan to involve underprivileged families in the effort to boost Bandung tourism.
“I am designing a program in which underprivileged families would be empowered to make souvenirs related to Bandung,” Ridwan said, adding that the program was expected to enable low-income people to take advantage of the expected booming tourist industry in his city. (Jakarta Post)