Indonesia has lashed out of the organizers of the New Seven Wonders of the World and withdrawn Komodo Island National Park from the global competition.
Culture and Tourism Minister Jero Wacik said on Monday that the decision to withdraw Komodo from the New Seven Wonders of Nature competition was taken “because the organizer of the New 7 Wonders (N7W) Foundation has taken actions that are not professional, consistent and transparent.”
He also lambasted the organization as “not credible” and “unaccountable.”
The ministry had been leading the charge to have Komodo crowned as one of the world’s new seven wonders.
In 2009, the park was selected as one of 28 finalists from a total of 440 nominations from 220 countries.
Indonesia’s relationship with the organizers, however, quickly soured.
In 2010, Indonesia was chosen to be the official host of the announcement of the competition’s winner. But the agreement fell apart when the government claimed the organizing committee had asked for a $10 million license fee, as well as $35 million to hold the award ceremony of the event.
The government claimed that the committee threatened to oust Komodo Park as a finalist for refusing to pay the fee.
Earlier this year, Eamonn Fitzgerald, the foundation’s head of communications, said the agreement for Indonesia to host the event was made “with the ministry fully aware of the investment requirements.”
Antara, Jakarta Globe